NATO says Taliban behind 2008 French attack killed

  • AFP, Kabul
  • |
  • Updated: Sep 11, 2012 16:31 IST

The US-led NATO force said today it had killed the suspected mastermind of a 2008 ambush that killed 10 French soldiers in what was then the deadliest attack on Western troops in Afghanistan.

Two men, whom the military named as Mullah Hazrat and Shakir, were killed in an air strike on Sunday in Alishing district of Laghman province, east of Kabul.

A Taliban ambush on August 18, 2008 killed 10 French soldiers and wounded another 21 in what was then the worst attack on NATO since the US-led invasion in 2001.

NATO said Hazrat was believed to have planned and directed the attack. Since then, it said he had been promoted to Taliban leader for Alishing.

The military accused him of ordering attacks on Afghan and Western troops, including suicide bombings in Kabul, and helping to bring foreign fighters from Pakistan into Afghanistan.

NATO said no civilians were hurt and no civilian property was damaged in the strike.

 

also read

New Cameron govt for ‘enhanced’ ties with India

blog comments powered by Disqus