until an animal decides to munch on them.
Hundreds of pets undergo surgery every year in America to remove small articles of clothing and other objects from their stomachs and intestines, said Halligan, author, TV consultant and director of veterinary services for the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, Los Angeles.
“It’s very common in private practice and in large institutions to be removing non-food items out of dogs and cats,” she said.
It also can be very dangerous
Ingested clothing and fabric items, for instance, won’t show up on X-rays. Within 48 hours, a pet that has consumed a piece of clothing will develop symptoms like vomiting, loss of appetite, lethargy, fever and depression.
If caught early, a vet can remove the item from inside the animal and everything will be fine. If not, the pet’s intestines will start to die because blood can’t get through, Halligan said. Removing the intestine is an option if the obstruction is eventually found.
If left untreated, the problem can be fatal because of dehydration or bacteria leaking into the stomach, causing peritonitis.
“We had one Great Dane. Three times we had to cut him (open) for his mother’s shoulder pads. He loved his mother’s shoulders pads,” Halligan said.
And surgeries to remove or dislodge things that pets swallow are not cheap.
“We are talking $2,500 to $5,000 at the least,” Halligan said.
Socks are probably the most popular pet-pilfered pieces of clothing across the country. They’re especially irresistible to pets after they’ve been worn. “It’s the scent that attracts them,” Halligan said. One of Halligan’s older clients came in with his toy poodle and said the dog ate one of his tube socks.
“I was skeptical. I X-rayed, and it didn’t show up. But he was absolutely certain. He was adamant,” she said. Halligan said she made the dog vomit and “sure enough, we pulled a foot-long tube sock out of this miniature apricot poodle, and the dog was fine.”