Following a series of consultations between a visiting Indian delegation and authorities in Maldives, former president Mohamed Nasheed walked out of the premises of the Indian high commission in Male on Saturday, ending his eleven days of refuge there.
Nasheed had been holed up in the Indian Mission High Commission since February 13 to evade arrest after he failed to appear in the court on charges of detaining chief criminal judge Abdulla Mohamed during his presidency.
And his stay has evoked strong reactions from Maldives government against India.
“It will be recalled that the former president had entered the Indian Mission in Male on 13 February on his own volition and had similarly decided to leave on his own.
"It is hoped that with this development the former president will again resume his social and political life”, said external affairs ministry spokesperson Syed Akbaruddin.
The Indian delegation was led by Harsh Vardhan Shringla, joint secretary who heads the BSM (Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Myanmar and Maldives).
Nasheed walked out of the mission at 4:15 pm Indian time.
“We welcome this development,” President Mohamed Waheed’s press secretary Masood Imad said in Male.
“I am happy that the longest meeting in world has ended. We were formally told by the High Commission on the first day that Nasheed had come into the Mission for a meeting and will be out once it is over.”
The Government of India wishes to thank all those who have cooperated in these efforts, the MEA statement said.
It said that India has been working closely with the Government and other relevant stakeholders in Maldives to strengthen the democratic framework of the country.
India has maintained broad based contacts with all political parties and democratic institutions in Maldives.
“India urges all parties to maintain peace and calm and hopes to continue its positive engagement in the spirit of the close and friendly relations,” MEA spokesperson said.