Having lost a prolonged court battle, the high profile India-born fashion designer Anand Jon has petitioned a California court seeking permission to dismiss his attorney and defend himself.
The California court, which convicted him for sexually assaulting upcoming models, has scheduled hearing on the petition on Monday, news reports said. He now faces 162 years of imprisonment.
"He (Anand Jon) said he wanted to represent himself," Ronald Richards, his attorney, was quoted as saying by LA Weekly. Richards said there are certain benefits for unsentenced prisoner to do so.
"If you're going without a lawyer it's easier -- you have access to the law library and other aspects of your case, which he doesn't have now. I think a policy of direct engagement will assist this defendant," he said. The latest move from Anand comes after the California court denied him a new trial.
"I am confident Anand Jon will win on appeal but an innocent man should not have to wait that long," says defense attorney Leonard Levine, who is helping Anand Jon prepare motions for a new trial to be reconsidered immediately.
Meanwhile in his statement issued after last week's court ruling, Anand Jon said: "I know it must be hard to be a judge, but I was heartbroken by Judge Wesley's ruling denying me a new trial." The statement was issued by his sister Sanjana Jon.