Advertisement

HindustanTimes Sun,23 Nov 2014

World

Attack on Kabul resort kills 20, may hit US-Pak ties
Reuters
Kabul, June 22, 2012
First Published: 12:33 IST(22/6/2012)
Last Updated: 23:37 IST(22/6/2012)
Smoke rises from the Spozhmai Hotel following an attack by Taliban militants at Qargha lake in the outskirts of Kabul. Taliban militants armed with guns and rockets attacked a lakeside hotel near Kabul overnight, seizing dozens of hostages including women and children and killing four people. AFP photo / Massoud Hossaini

Elite Afghan police backed by Nato forces ended a 12-hour siege on Friday at a popular lakeside hotel outside Kabul, leaving at least 20 dead after Taliban gunmen stormed the lakeside building, bursting into a party and seizing dozens of hostages.

General John Allen, the commander of Nato forces in Afghanistan, said the attack bore the signature of the Taliban-linked Haqqani group that he said continued to operate from Pakistan, a charge that could further escalate tensions with Islamabad.

The night-time assault on the hotel with rocket-propelled grenades, suicide vests and machine guns again proved how potent the Islamist insurgency remains after a decade of war.

General John Allen’s comments come days after US defence secretary Leon Panetta said Washington was at the limits of its patience with Pakistan over the existence of militant networks including the Haqqanis.

Pakistan says it is doing everything it can to fight militants on its side of the border and accuses Afghanistan of trying to shift the blame for its failure to combat the insurgency.

At the hotel, terrified guests jumped into the lake to escape the carnage, Afghan officials and residents said. Up to 300 people had been in the hotel when the attack began.

Afghan interior ministry spokesman Sediq Sediqqi said 12 to 15 civilians, two hotel guards and a policeman were killed in the gunbattle at the Spozhmai hotel, overlooking Qargha Lake. Five attackers were also killed.

The attack, quickly claimed by the Afghan Taliban, again showed the ability of insurgents to stage high-profile raids even as Nato nations prepare to withdraw most of their combat troops by the end of 2014 and leave Afghans to lead the fight.

“Afghan National Security Forces and coalition military sources acknowledge that this attack bears the signature of the Haqqani network, which continues to target and kill innocent Afghans and blatantly violate Afghan sovereignty from the safety of Pakistan,” General Allen said in a statement.


Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved