Police in southern China have reportedly arrested four men allegedly behind a bizarre Internet hoax which claimed cannibals were responsible for the disappearance of 10 missing people.
The bloggers in Guangdong province faked photos which they claimed showed a corpse being prepared for consumption by cannibals, the Global Times said on Wednesday.
"Those responsible for the post, which led to rumours of cannibals being at large in the area, are now detained," a police official in the city of Yangjiang told the paper.
The four suspects, surnamed Lei, Tan, Chen and Yu, were detained on Friday by police following an online investigation.
They claimed some local villagers ate people in nearby Songbai township and faked photographs of a corpse which they then placed on their website.
The grisly claim started circulating on the Internet and caused panic when a 19-year-old woman went missing last month, the report said.
But more savvy web surfers were not taken in. "It's fake news. There are traces of Photoshop," one Internet user was quoted as saying.