Advertisement

HindustanTimes Sun,21 Sep 2014

World

China evacuates 3,000 nationals from Vietnam following unrest
Sutirtho Patranobis , Hindustan Times
Beijing, May 19, 2014
First Published: 00:59 IST(19/5/2014)
Last Updated: 01:01 IST(19/5/2014)

More than 3000 Chinese nationals were evacuated from Vietnam over the weekend following large-scale anti China riots that swept the country even as Beijing announced Sunday that it was suspending scheduled exchange programmes with Hanoi.

Two Chinese nationals were killed in the violence and more than 100 others were injured in the riots that were triggered last week following Hanoi’s protests against a Chinese state owned company carrying out drilling operations in a region of the South China Sea also claimed by Vietnam.

Sixteen critically injured Chinese nationals also boarded a chartered medical flight arranged by Chinese government early Sunday morning.

An iron and steel complex in Ha Tinh Province of Vietnam, invested by Taipei-based Formosa Plastics Group, was badly hit in the violent attacks triggered by disputes in the South China Sea. The China 19th Metallurgical Corporation (MCC19) is a contractor for construction of the plant.

China had dispatched five ships to Vietnam to evacuate Chinese nationals from Vietnam, the Ministry of Transport said.

Meanwhile, China will suspend some of its plans for bilateral exchanges with Vietnam in response to the deadly violence against Chinese nationals in the country, Hong Lei, foreign ministry spokesperson said.

“The severe violence targeting foreign companies in Vietnam since May 13 has caused casualties and property losses for Chinese nationals.,” Hong said.

He added that China will also consider taking further measures according to the situation’s development.

In another development, China’s Spring and Autumn Airline has said it plans to suspend all charter flights from Shanghai to Vietnam from May 19.


Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved