Death toll in failed Turkey coup crosses 290: Foreign ministry | world-news | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 24, 2017-Friday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Death toll in failed Turkey coup crosses 290: Foreign ministry

TurkeyAttemptedCoup Updated: Jul 17, 2016 22:16 IST
Turkey coup attempt

Relatives mourn over the coffin of Omer Cenkatar who was killed in a thwarted coup.(REUTERS)

The death toll from Turkey’s failed military coup has risen to more than 290, the foreign ministry said in a statement on Sunday, adding that more than 1,400 people were wounded.

Of the dead, more than 100 were participants in the coup, the ministry said, adding that there was no doubt the coup had been staged by followers of US-based Muslim cleric Fethullah Gulen.

Gulen, who lives in self-imposed exile in the United States, has denied involvement in the attempt to overthrow the government, condemning it as an affront to democracy.