Emirates says laptop ban on US flights lifted, becomes third middle east airline to drop restriction | world-news | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jul 22, 2017-Saturday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Emirates says laptop ban on US flights lifted, becomes third middle east airline to drop restriction

Dubai-based Emirates airlines said the US exempted it from a ban on laptops in airplane cabins

world Updated: Jul 05, 2017 13:06 IST
An Emirates Airlines ticket desk at JFK International Airport in New York, March 21, 2017. The ban on carrying electronics had hurt business.
An Emirates Airlines ticket desk at JFK International Airport in New York, March 21, 2017. The ban on carrying electronics had hurt business.(Reuters)

Emirates, the Middle East’s largest airline, said on Wednesday the in-cabin ban on laptops and other large electronic devices on its flights to the United States had been lifted “effective immediately”.

“Emirates has been working hard in coordination with various aviation stakeholders and the local authorities to implement heightened security measures and protocols that meet the requirements of the US Department of Homeland Security’s new security guidelines for all US bound flights,” an Emirates spokeswoman said in a statement.

This follows Abu Dhabi-based Etihad being exempted from the ban

It also comes on the same day Turkish Airlines allowed passengers travelling to New York’s JFK International airport to carry their laptops on board. The airline’s chief executive later took to Twitter to say flights to Britain would also likely lift the ban soon.

The US, followed by Britain, had imposed the ban three months ago citing intelligence inputs that indicated passenger flights could be targeted by terrorists using explosives.

Emirates’ Dubai hub has grown into the world’s busiest airport for international traffic, in large part thanks to Emirates’ expansion. It was one of 10 airports – it flies to 12 American cities – affected by the ban on cabin electronics put in place by the Trump administration in March.