World

Ethnic clashes kill 54 in southeastern Guinea

  • AP, Onakry, Guinea
  • |
  • Updated: Jul 18, 2013 11:25 IST

Officials say clashes in southeastern Guinea have killed 54 people and injured scores more, and they warn the death toll could be higher.

Noumandjan Camara, a hospital employee in Guinea's second-largest city, N'Zerekore, says he counted 54 bodies. That number was confirmed on Wednesday by Jean-Marie Dore, a former prime minister who is from the region.

Both noted the figure only accounts for bodies that had been taken to the hospital.

A resident says the violence began Monday in a village outside N'Zerekore when members of the Guerze ethnic group beat a young Konianke man to death after accusing him of stealing from a gas station.

Witnesses said some victims had been beheaded with machetes.

Guinea is preparing for legislative elections in September that already have sparked violent protests.

 

also read

Small drone found on White House grounds

 
blog comments powered by Disqus