Family sees video of Charlotte police shooting black man dead

  • Reuters, Charlotte
  • Updated: Sep 23, 2016 11:21 IST
Demonstrators march during protests in Charlotte, North Carolina. Protests began on Tuesday night following the fatal shooting of 43-year-old Keith Lamont Scott at an apartment complex near UNC Charlotte. (AFP)

The family of the North Carolina black man whose shooting death by police in triggered two nights of riots viewed video of the episode on Thursday, but a lawyer for the family of Keith Scott said it was unclear if Scott was holding a gun when killed.

Scott’s family called on police in Charlotte, North Carolina, to immediately release the two police videos that they saw, adding pressure on police to make them public.

The rioting that has engulfed the city claimed a victim on Thursday, as city officials said that a protester who was shot on Wednesday had died.

With hundreds of protesters gathering in the city for a third straight night, the city on Thursday imposed a curfew from midnight to 6 a.m. local time. National Guard troops fortified a robust police throughout the center of town, helping to quell the crowd.

Protesters block a street during a third night of unrest following Tuesday's police shooting of Keith Lamont Scott. (AP)

Scott, 43, was killed on Tuesday by a black police officer as part of a police search for another man. Police contend Scott was carrying a gun when he approached officers and ignored repeated orders to drop it. His family previously said he was holding a book, not a firearm.

His death is the latest to stir passions in the United States over the police use of deadly force against black men. The family’s viewing of the video came on the same day that a police officer in Tulsa, Oklahoma, was charged with first-degree manslaughter in the fatal shooting of an unarmed black man whose car had broken down and blocked a road.

Read: Violent protests over fatal US police shooting of black man in North Carolina

Earlier on Thursday, North Carolina Governor Pat McCrory declared a state of emergency in Charlotte and called in the National Guard in response to the rioting.

Major Gerald Smith of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department told Reuters that police would not enforce the curfew imposed by the city as long as the protests remained peaceful.

“It seems to me tonight is more peaceful than last night,” Charlotte Mayor Jennifer Roberts told CNN.

A demonstrator shouts at a protest. (AFP)

Scott’s family said it still had “more questions than answers” after watching two police body camera videos of the officer shooting him dead in the parking lot of an apartment complex.

“While police did give him several commands, he did not aggressively approach them or raise his hands at members of law enforcement at any time,” Justin Bamberg, an attorney for the family, said in the statement.

“It is impossible to discern from the videos what, if anything, Mr. Scott is holding in his hands,” the statement said, adding that Scott’s hands were by his sides and he was slowly walking backward.

Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Chief Kerr Putney has said the video supported the police account of what happened but does not definitively show Scott pointing a gun at officers.

From Around the Web
Sponsored by Revcontent

also read

Clinton and Trump to face off: Get ready for an epic showdown
Show comments