Fighting in Syria’s Aleppo after siege broken: Monitor | world-news | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Apr 29, 2017-Saturday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Fighting in Syria’s Aleppo after siege broken: Monitor

An alliance of rebels, Islamists, and jihadists said on Saturday they had opened a new route into Aleppo’s eastern neighbourhoods, home to some 250,000 people.

world Updated: Aug 07, 2016 23:56 IST
AFP
Syria

Rebel fighters prepare their weapons in an artillery academy of Aleppo.(REUTERS)

Sporadic clashes hit the southern edges of Aleppo on Sunday morning, a monitoring group said, hours after rebels said they had broken a three-week government siege of the Syrian city.

An alliance of rebels, Islamists, and jihadists said on Saturday they had opened a new route into Aleppo’s eastern neighbourhoods, home to some 250,000 people.

But the road, which passes through southern edges of the city, remains too dangerous for civilians to use, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.

“There are intermittent clashes and air strikes, but to a lesser degree,” said observatory head Rami Abdel Rahman.

Fighters from the former Al-Nusra Front -- renamed Fateh al-Sham Front after breaking from al Qaeda -- advance at an armament school after they recaptured the military facility south of Aleppo on August 6. (AFP)

“Not a single civilian has left the eastern districts because the road is too dangerous and not secured,” he told AFP.

Anti-regime groups overran a series of buildings on Saturday in a military academy on the southwestern edges of Aleppo.

They then pushed northeast into the district of Ramussa, linking up with rebel groups that had fought south from inside the city.

Rebels posted footage of their fighters embracing and celebrating the end of the government encirclement of Aleppo, in place since July 17.

An AFP journalist in the eastern districts said a single truck of vegetables entered the neighbourhoods late on Saturday to be sold in the markets the following day.

Syrian state media, however, denied that the siege had been broken and said the fight was ongoing.

“The terrorist groups are suffering huge losses and were not able to break the encirclement of the eastern neighbourhoods of Aleppo,” state news agency SANA said, quoting a military source.

“The Syrian army in coordination with allied forces are continuing their fight south of Aleppo,” it said.

The agency said 10 civilians were killed yesterday in rebel shelling on two government-held districts.

The Britain-based Observatory said at least 130 civilians have been killed since the opposition alliance launched its offensive on southern Aleppo on July 31.

The monitor said more than 700 fighters from both sides had been killed in the onslaught, most of them rebels because of the regime’s “aerial superiority.”

Is Your Couch Making You Cough?
Promotional Feature