Advertisement

HindustanTimes Fri,19 Sep 2014

World

Gaza death toll hits 196 on eighth day of violence
AFP
Gaza City, July 15, 2014
First Published: 14:00 IST(15/7/2014)
Last Updated: 18:29 IST(15/7/2014)

The death toll from Israel's week-long campaign in Gaza rose Tuesday to 196, after another six Palestinians died, four of them in strikes before Israel accepted an Egyptian ceasefire.

Emergency services spokesman Ashraf al-Qudra said three people were killed in two separate air strikes on the southern city of Khan Yunis.

And two other men in the city succumbed to injuries sustained in earlier raids, he said.

Also in the south, a woman was killed in an earlier strike on Rafah, taking Tuesday's toll to six dead, he said.

Read: Israel approves Egyptian-proposed Gaza truce but Hamas suspicious

Palestinian relatives mourn over the body of Noor Alnajedy (10) who was killed during an Israeli air strike on a building near his family house, at the main mosque during his funeral in Rafah refugee camp, southern Gaza Strip. (AP photo)

All of the fatalities took place before Israel accepted a 0600 GMT ceasefire proposed by Egypt, despite its rejection by Hamas.

Late Monday, the death toll rose above that of the previous major conflict between Israel and Hamas militants, an eight day confrontation in November 2012 which claimed the lives of 177 Palestinians and six Israelis.

So far, no Israelis have been killed in the week-long fighting in and around Gaza, with only four people seriously injured.

Read: Obama praises Egypt's ceasefire plan for Israel

Smoke billows from buildings following an Israeli air strike in Gaza City. (AFP photo)

The Gaza-based Palestinian Centre for Human Rights said on Sunday, when the toll stood at over 150, that three quarters of the dead were civilians.

And on Monday, a senior UN official said more than a quarter were children.

The bloodiest day so far was Saturday when 56 Gazans were killed.

Read: Israel steps up Gaza campaign, thousands flee

Four Israelis have been seriously wounded since the start of the operation.

Israel began Operation Protective Edge before dawn on Tuesday in an attempt to halt cross-border rocket fire by militant groups.

Since then, 840 rockets have hit Israel, while another 191 have been intercepted by its Iron Dome air defence system, the army said.

Read: Pope appeals for peace in Gaza conflict

A picture from the southern Israeli Gaza border shows a rocket being launched from the Gaza strip into Israel. (AFP photo)


Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved