Indian restaurant in UK shut after cockroaches found | world-news | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 25, 2017-Saturday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Indian restaurant in UK shut after cockroaches found

world Updated: Feb 16, 2017 21:06 IST
Prasun Sonwalkar
cockroach

The Sands of Glenfield restaurant in Leicester in the east Midlands was shut on the spot when inspectors were tipped off by a member of the public and found dead and live cockroaches on its premises.(Reuters)

Health inspectors found cockroaches in the kitchen of a popular Indian restaurant in Britain, prompting diners to leave their half-eaten meals and forcing the restaurant to  close.

Britain has a long history of links with Indian food and the industry is estimated to be worth 4 billion pounds, but instances of unhealthy practices are not unknown, particularly those related to health inspectors finding major deficiencies in kitchens, such as mouse droppings and cockroaches.

The latest such example is the “Sands of Glenfield” restaurant in Leicester in the east Midlands, which has a large population of Indian origin. It was shut on the spot when inspectors were tipped off by a member of the public and found dead and live cockroaches on its premises earlier this month.

The inspectors, from Blaby District Council, also noted that large quantities of open and uncovered food were left out on kitchen surfaces, and that there was food debris, grease and grime on many surfaces, according to reports in the local press.

A spokeswoman for the council told Leicester Mercury: "A resident of the district made us aware that a pest control company had been visiting Sands. We served a hygiene emergency prohibition order on Sands of Glenfield for a cockroach infestation.”

"The business is now formally closed as a food business until our environmental health team are satisfied that the health risk condition no longer exists. We are working closely with representatives of the business and their pest control company to advise them about the steps they need to take in order for this to be achieved.”

The reports said the restaurant posted a notice: "We regret to inform you that a problem has been highlighted in the building containing Sands Restaurant and the Sumi Heights apartments. Because of the importance of food hygiene, and our responsibility to our customers, this has resulted in the restaurant closing until the problem is completely resolved."