Israel on Sunday threatened to expand its assault on Gaza as it pressed ahead with a fifth day of strikes, killing six people including four children as truce efforts intensified.
As France's top diplomat Laurent Fabius arrived in the region to bolster Egyptian efforts to broker a ceasefire, Palestinian officials said it was possible a deal would be reached "today or tomorrow." But there was no letup in the bloodshed, with Sunday's victims including three toddlers and a
13-year-old girl in a relentless campaign of air strikes which has stoked Arab and Islamic anger.
The latest deaths hiked the Palestinian death toll to 52, even as the Israeli army said there had been no militant rocket fire during the night. Three Israelis have been killed by rocket fire since Wednesday.
The 10-hour lull ended at 10:30 IST after which 33 rockets hit Israel and another five were intercepted by the Iron Dome anti-missile system, the army said..
Two were fired at Tel Aviv, triggering air raid sirens in the metropolis. Iron Dome intercepted both, police said.
Prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Israel was ready to "significantly expand" its operation against militants in the Hamas-run Gaza Strip even as he prepared to receive Fabius, who is on a whirlwind truce mission to the region.