Nine people were killed and 16 wounded in a shooting rampage at a Munich shopping centre.
Investigators found the body of the suspected shooter, who appears to have acted alone and then killed himself.
Police say the gunman was a German-Iranian 18-year-old who was not previously known to police.
Here is what we know:
A shooter opened fire at a McDonald’s restaurant and continued onto a street before entering the Olympia (OEZ) mall near the Olympic stadium in Munich.
The shooting started shortly before 1600 GMT, with authorities initially saying witnesses reported seeing three gunmen.
Police said the man likely acted alone.
Nine people were killed in the shooting that began early Friday evening, with 16 injured, Munich police said on Twitter.
The authorities had earlier reported a higher number of injured people.
A video posted on social media appeared to show a man dressed in black walking away from the McDonald’s while firing repeatedly on people as they fled.
Authorities evacuated the main train station in the city of some 1.4 million, while metro and bus transport services were suspended in the wake of the assault, but have since resumed.
The shopping centre, which opened in the 1970s and bills itself as Bavaria’s biggest, was surrounded by armed police, while a helicopter buzzed overhead.
The Olympia mall is near the stadium for the 1972 Olympics and the athletes’ village, which was the site of the massacre of 11 Israeli athletes by the Palestinian Black September group.
Who was the gunman?
Munich police said the shooter was a German-Iranian 18-year-old from Munich whose motive was “completely unclear”.
“The perpetrator was an 18-year-old German-Iranian from Munich,” police chief Hubertus Andrae told reporters after the rampage.
The shooter had dual citizenship and “no criminal record”.
“The motive or explanation for this crime is completely unclear,” he added.
A police spokesman had earlier told AFP they suspected “terrorism” in the rampage, while German news agency DPA quoted police as warning of an “acute terror situation”.
Police initially believed there could be up to three assailants.
But Andrae later clarified that two others who had been thought to be linked had “absolutely nothing to do” with the attack -- and that they were simply fleeing the scene of the crime.
Europe has been on alert in the wake of a string of attacks including bombings in neighbouring France and Belgium.
The carnage came on the fifth anniversary of right-wing fanatic Anders Behring Breivik’s massacre in Norway that killed 77 people.
The violence happened just days after a teenage asylum seeker went on a rampage with an axe and a knife on a regional train in Germany on Monday, injuring five people, two of them critically.
Bavaria became the main gateway for hundreds of thousands of migrants and asylum seekers arriving in Germany.
Hate crimes and attacks against migrants exploded after arrivals spiked to more than one million last year, mostly from the Middle East and Africa.
Some 923 offences against refugee shelters were reported in 2015, compared to 175 the previous year, according to figures from the interior ministry.
Of these, 177 were acts of violence, up from 26 in 2014.