Nice attack: Who were the victims of the French Riviera horror?
As a clearer picture is emerging of Thursday’s horror on the French Riviera, details of some of the victims have begun to trickle in.france attacked again Updated: Jul 15, 2016 22:41 IST
An 11-year-old boy from Texas. A German teacher and two of her students. A French father protecting his pregnant wife. The Bastille Day truck attack in Nice killed 84 people, including 10 children and teenagers enjoying the evening celebrations during their summer holidays.
More than 200 people of all ages and from across Europe were also injured in the attack. No Indian is reported to be affected in a terror “attack” in the French resort town of Nice.
“Our ambassador in Paris is in touch with the Indian community in Nice. So far, no report of any Indians affected,” external affairs ministry spokesperson Vikas Swarup tweeted on Friday.
As a clearer picture is emerging of Thursday’s horror on the French Riviera, details of some of the victims have begun to trickle in.
Here’s what we know so far:
FRANCE: Timothe Fournier, 27, from Paris died after pushing his seven-month-pregnant wife out of the truck’s deadly path, his cousin Anais told AFP. “He was a great guy... a young dreamer but someone who was always there for his wife and his future child,” she said.
Among the other confirmed French victims were 28-year-old economics teacher Michael Pellegrini and 60-year-old athletics club president Robert Marchand. Also killed was border police commissioner Emmanuel Grout, 45, who was off duty and had been on the Promenade des Anglais to watch the annual fireworks display, local media said.
GERMANY: A German teacher and two of her students from the capital’s Paula-Fuerst School were killed, the Berlin mayor’s office said.
UNITED STATES: Two US citizens were confirmed dead, the state department said. A Texas-based newspaper identified them as Sean Copeland, 51, and his 11-year-old son Brodie, who were on a family vacation in Europe. “They are so loved,” the family was quoted as saying in a statement.
SWITZERLAND: The Swiss foreign ministry announced the deaths of a Swiss “woman and a child”, but gave no further details. It was not immediately clear if they were related.
The mayor of the Swiss town of Agno named the woman as 54-year-old customs agent Linda Casanova Siccardi, who was on holiday with her French husband. He survived.
MOROCCO: Fatima Charrihi, 60, a Nice resident and mother of seven, was among the first to be killed by the Tunisian-born driver, her son Hamza told local media. He described her as “an extraordinary mum” and a devout Muslim who practised a “real Islam, not that of the terrorists”.
RUSSIA: One Russian tourist was killed, the foreign ministry said. News site Novosti-24 named her as 20-year-old university student Viktoria Savchenko, 20, who was holidaying in Nice with a friend. The friend sustained injuries to her legs but was not in a serious condition, it added.
UKRAINE: Foreign minister Pavlo Klimkin said a Ukrainian national was killed and another injured.
ARMENIA: An Armenian citizen was also among the dead, the foreign ministry said.
TUNISIA: Bilal Labaoui, born in 1987, was killed in the attack, according to the Tunisian foreign ministry.