‘New kind of threat’: N Korea fires 4 missiles into ocean, say Tokyo and Seoul | world-news | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Apr 27, 2017-Thursday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

‘New kind of threat’: N Korea fires 4 missiles into ocean, say Tokyo and Seoul

North Korea on Monday fired four banned ballistic missiles that flew about 1,000 kilometers, with three of them landing in Japan’s exclusive economic zone, South Korean and Japanese officials said.

world Updated: Mar 07, 2017 11:26 IST
North Korea

People watch a TV news channel airing an image of North Korea's ballistic missile launch published in North Korea's Rodong Sinmun newspaper at the Seoul Railway Station in Seoul, South Korea.(AP File Photo)

North Korea on Monday fired four banned ballistic missiles that flew about 1,000 kilometers, with three of them landing in Japan’s exclusive economic zone, South Korean and Japanese officials said, in an apparent reaction to huge military drills by Washington and Seoul that Pyongyang insists are an invasion rehearsal.

It was not immediately clear the exact type of missile fired; Pyongyang has staged a series of missile test-launches of various ranges in recent months, including a new intermediate-range missile in February. The ramped-up tests come as leader Kim Jong Un pushes for a nuclear and missile program that can deter what he calls US and South Korean hostility toward the North.

Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said Monday’s firing shows that North Korea has become “a new kind of threat”. Japanese officials said three of the four missiles landed in the 200-nautical-mile offshore area where Tokyo has sovereign rights for exploring and exploiting resources.

Pyongyang has staged a series of missile test-launches of various ranges in recent months. (AFP File Photo)

South Korea’s joint Chief of Staff said in a statement that Monday’s launches were made from the Tongchang-ri area in North Pyongan province. The area is the home of the North’s Seohae Satellite Station where it has conducted prohibited long-range rocket launches in recent years.

The US military said on Sunday it detected and tracked what it assessed was a North Korean missile launch at 4:34pm CST (2234 GMT), but added the launch did not pose a threat to North America.

US Strategic Command spokesperson Lieutenant Colonel Martin O’Donnell said US forces “remain vigilant in the face of North Korean provocations and are fully committed to working closely with our Republic of Korea and Japanese allies to maintain security”.

The US military did not provide further details about the launch

Seoul and Washington call their military drills on the Korean Peninsula, which remains in a technical state of war because the 1950-53 Korean War ended with an armistice and not a peace treaty, defensive and routine.

The North hates the military drills, which run until late April and which analysts say force its impoverished military to respond with expensive deployments and drills of their own. An unidentified spokesperson for the North’s General Staff of the Korean People’s Army said last week that Pyongyang’s reaction to the southern drills would be the toughest ever but didn’t elaborate.

Read | Obama launched cyberwar to sabotage North Korea missile programme: Report

North Korea conducted two nuclear tests last year. There have been widespread worries that the North will conduct an ICBM test that, when perfected, could in theory reach US shores. Washington would consider such a capability a major threat.

The United States has 28,500 troops stationed in South Korea, and 50,000 in Japan, as a deterrent against a potential aggression from the North.

Is Your Couch Making You Cough?
Promotional Feature