Pakistan PM reviews defence preparedness after India’s surgical strikes
Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif on Thursday reviewed Pakistan’s defence preparedness, holding talks with army chief Raheel Sharif and other top aides.world Updated: Sep 29, 2016 20:59 IST
Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif on Thursday reviewed Pakistan’s defence preparedness, holding talks with army chief Raheel Sharif and other top aides after India carried out surgical strikes on terror bases across the LoC.
Sharif and Raheel had a telephonic conversation during which they discussed situation at the Line of Control (LoC), local media reported.
Raheel apprised the premier over the firing incidents at the LoC, the reports said, adding the army chief told him that Indian claims of surgical strikes were “baseless”.
Sharif told the army chief that the entire nation had high morale and was committed to defend the motherland along with the armed forces.
The Prime Minister has convened a cabinet meeting tomorrow, his office said in a statement.
“Agenda item number one of cabinet meeting will be discussion on present Kashmir situation, UNGA visit and bilateral meetings of PM in New York. Foreign Secretary (Aizaz Chaudhry) will brief the cabinet before the discussion,” the statement said.
Sharif was also briefed on the LoC situation by National Security Advisor (NSA) General Nasir Janjua after Indian Army carried out 5-6 surgical strikes against terror bases across the LoC.
The NSA submitted a “comprehensive report” on the LoC situation to Sharif, the Prime Minister’s Office said.
It added the Prime Minister was briefed regularly on the situation on the LoC by the security institutions today.
Sharif showed “satisfaction on the level of preparedness of Pakistani armed forces to match any “provocation” by Indian security forces,” it said in a statement.
Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan also met Sharif and the present security situation was “discussed at length”, it added.
Pakistan’s Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) has dismissed as “fabrication of truth” India’s claim that it conducted a military operation across the LoC, terming it as a “quest” by India to create media hype by rebranding cross- border fire as surgical strike.
“There has been no surgical strike by India, instead there had been cross border fire initiated and conducted by India which is existential phenomenon,” it said.