Qatar Airways launches longest flight: Here are other long routes
Qatar Airways launched the world’s longest scheduled commercial service with its inaugural flight from Doha to Auckland taking off eight minutes early today, a company spokeswoman saidworld Updated: Feb 06, 2017 08:54 IST
Qatar Airways launched the world’s longest scheduled commercial service with its inaugural flight from Doha to Auckland taking off eight minutes early on Sunday, a company spokeswoman said.
Flight QR920 left the Qatari capital at 05:02 (local time) and is set to land in New Zealand at 07:30 (local time on Monday.
The Boeing 777 flight will take 16 hours and 20 minutes, pass over 10 time zones, five countries and travel 14,535 kilometres before reaching Auckland.
But even that flying time may be looked on jealously by passengers on the return flight which, due to high-altitude winds, will take 17 hours and 30 minutes, according to the company website.
This will make it the world’s longest passenger service in terms of flying time, according to tracking website flightradar24.
Qatar Airways did not immediately have a figure for the number of passengers who boarded on Sunday, but it is believed there are four pilots and 15 crew on the plane.
In March last year, Emirates airline launched what was then thought to be the world’s longest non-stop scheduled commercial flight, with a service from Dubai to Auckland, spanning 14,200 kilometres.
- 1. Auckland, New Zealand - Dubai, UAE on Emirates : 8,825 miles, 17.25 hours
- 2. Dallas, Texas - Sydney, Australia on Qantas: 8,578 miles, 17 hours
- 3. San Francisco, California - Singapore on United Airlines: 8,446 miles, 16.5 hours
- 4. Johannesburg, South Africa - Atlanta, Georgia on Delta Air Lines: 8,439 miles, 16.5 hours
- 5. Abu Dhabi, UAE - Los Angeles, California on Etihad: 8,390 miles, 16.5 hours
- 6. Dubai, UAE - Los Angeles, California on Emirates: 8,339 miles, 16.5 hours
- 7. Jeddah, Saudi Arabia - Los Angeles, California on Saudia: 8,332 miles, 16.5 hours
- 8. Doha, Qatar - Los Angeles, California on Qatar Airways: 8,306 miles, 16.5 hours
- 9. Dubai, UAE - Houston, Texas on Emirates: 8,168 miles, 16.5 hours
- 10. Abu Dhabi, UAE - San Francisco, California on Etihad: 8,158 miles, 16.25 hours (Source: Conde Nast Traveller)