Qatar to seek compensation for damages from Arab blockade | world-news | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Sep 23, 2017-Saturday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Qatar to seek compensation for damages from Arab blockade

Qatar announced it was establishing a committee to pursue compensation claims potentially worth billions of dollars over the country’s “blockade” by Gulf states.

world Updated: Jul 09, 2017 18:56 IST
Qatar's attorney general Ali bin Fetais al-Marri speaks after the launch of the Compensation Claims Committee during a press conference in Doha on July 9.
Qatar's attorney general Ali bin Fetais al-Marri speaks after the launch of the Compensation Claims Committee during a press conference in Doha on July 9.(AFP Photo)

Qatar’s government says it is forming a committee to pursue compensation for damages stemming from its isolation by four Arab countries.

Qatari Public Prosecutor Ali Al-Marri said in a press conference Sunday that the committee will handle claims made by private companies, public institutions and individuals.

He gave few details, but said the body would use both domestic and international mechanisms to seek compensation.

Members of the newly formed committee include Qatar’s minister of justice and minister of foreign affairs.

Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Egypt and Bahrain cut diplomatic ties and severed air, land and sea links with Qatar last month, accusing it of supporting extremism. Qatar has denied the allegations, and says the bloc’s ultimatums are an affront to its sovereignty.