Advertisement

HindustanTimes Sun,21 Dec 2014

World

Search for missing on S Korea ferry put on hold
AP
Seoul, South Korea, May 10, 2014
First Published: 18:11 IST(10/5/2014)
Last Updated: 20:03 IST(10/5/2014)

South Korean officials say bad weather and the deterioration of internal partitions in a sunken ferry are hampering the search for those still missing in the disaster.

More than three weeks after the ferry sank, 29 passengers are still missing, with 275 bodies recovered so far, most of them high school students.

Government task force spokesman Ko Myung-seok said Saturday that search conditions were deteriorating, with internal partitions in the ferry becoming waterlogged and starting to bend. Coast guard officials say this can prevent divers from entering different parts of the ferry.

The coast guard said divers temporarily halted underwater searches Saturday because of high waves.

Only 172 people survived the April 16 disaster. Most of the passengers were students from a high school south of Seoul.


Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved