The Free Syrian Army pledged Wednesday to punish atrocities amid outrage over a video showing the mutilation of a corpse, as the regime ruled out discussing President Bashar al-Assad’s departure in negotiations.
The mainstream rebel group made the statement after a gruesome video of an alleged rebel fighter cutting out and apparently eating the organs of a regime soldier emerged online.
“Any act contrary to the values that the Syrian people have paid [for] with their blood and lost their homes will not be tolerated, the abuser will be punished severely even if they are associated with the Free Syrian Army,” the main rebel group said in a statement. It said field commanders had been instructed “to begin a prompt investigation into the matter”.
The man in the video, identified as Khalid al-Hamad, defended his actions in an interview with Time Magazine, saying he was driving to them by footage on the dead soldier’s phone, showing him “humiliating” a naked women and her two daughters. He expressed sectarian hatred of all members of the Alawite community, the religious minority to which Assad belongs.