Turkey has issued an arrest warrant for its former international football star striker Hakan Sukur in the probe over the failed July 15 coup, aimed at unseating President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, a report said on Friday.
Sukur is accused by prosecutors of “being a member of an armed terror group”, a reference to the organisation of the US-based preacher Fethullah Gulen who Ankara claims was behind the coup, state-run Anadolu news agency said. It added that Sukur and his family had left Turkey last year.
Turkey has detained, removed or suspended tens of thousands of people in the judiciary, military, police, public service and elsewhere over alleged links with the abortive July 15 putsch, when a faction of the military tried to oust President Tayyip Erdogan and the government.
More than 240 people were killed and nearly 2,200 people were wounded when a faction of the military commandeered fighter jets, military helicopters and tanks, opening fire on civilians as they attempted to overthrow the government.
Since the coup bid, soldiers, police, judges, journalists, medics and civil servants are among those who have been removed or arrested, prompting concern among Western allies that Erdogan is using the events to tighten his grip on power.