An Australian tradesman has been bitten by a venomous spider on the penis for the second time in five months.
The 21-year-old man, identified only as Jordan, was using a portable toilet on a Sydney building site on Tuesday when he was bitten on “pretty much the same spot” by the spider, BBC reported.
“I’m the most unlucky guy in the country at the moment,” he said. “I was sitting on the toilet doing my business and just felt the sting that I felt the first time.
“I was like ‘I can’t believe it’s happened again.’ I looked down and I’ve seen a few little legs come from around the rim.”
One of Jordan’s colleagues took him from the worksite in northwest Sydney to Blacktown Hospital. Many of his co-workers were quick to see the lighter side of the situation.
“They got worried the first time,” Jordan said. “This time they were making jokes before I was getting in the car.”
Jordan was released from hospital and said he expected to return to work soon but was unlikely to be using the on-site toilet. “I think I’ll be holding on for dear life to be honest,” he said.
In April, Jordan went to hospital after he was bitten by a venomous redback spider. The first incident had made him wary of using portable toilets.
“Toilets got cleaned that day and I thought it was my opportunity to go use one. Had a look under both seats and then I sat down, did my business. Next thing you know, I’m bent over in pain,” he said.
Jordan said he was unsure what type of spider bit him this time.
The redback spider, closely related to the black widow, is distinguished by a long red stripe on its abdomen. Its bite causes severe pain, sweating and nausea. There are recorded cases of deaths from redback bites but none have occurred since anti-venom was developed in 1956.