A suicide bombing against an international military convoy killed 12 Afghans in the east of the country on Wednesday, officials said.
A car packed with explosives rammed into the vehicles around midday on Wednesday as they were passing through Khost city, the capital of the province of the same name, said Baryalai Wakman, a spokesman for the provincial government. Another 14 were wounded and the casualties included civilians and security forces, he said.
Provincial council member Shafiq Mujahid said the attacker was on a motorcycle. It was not immediately possible to reconcile the two accounts.
Eleven bodies have been brought to the Khost hospital so far, said hospital director Majid Mangal. He said the dead included one police officer and one 15-year-old child.
It was not clear if any international soldiers were killed or wounded. A spokesman for the US-led international military coalition declined to comment, saying they did not have adequate reporting yet on the incident.
Wakman said U.S. soldiers had blocked the road near the blast site, so it was difficult to get more details.
The bombing came the day after two attacks in the south in which militants stormed a NATO military base and attacked a police checkpoint. U.S. troops were wounded in the attack on the NATO base, officials said. Three policemen were killed in the hour-long gunbattle over the checkpoint in Kandahar city, according to the Afghan government.