26/11 accused refused bail | world | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 11, 2016-Sunday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

26/11 accused refused bail

world Updated: Aug 30, 2010 23:43 IST

PTI
Highlight Story

A Pakistani anti-terrorism court conducting the trial of seven suspects charged with involvement in the Mumbai attacks on Monday dismissed a bail petition filed by Lashker-e-Taiba operations commander Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi.

Judge Malik Muhamad Akram Awan of the Rawalpindi-based anti-terroism dismissed Lakhvi's bail application on the ground that it could not be maintained, sources said.

Lakhvi's lawyer Khwaja Sultan, who has been accused by the prosecution of filing numerous petitions to delay the, trial, said that his client would not approach the Lahore High Court for bail. "We will decide on the date for filing the application in the High Court after getting the anti-terrorism court's detailed order," Sultan said.

Sultan claimed that bail should be granted as the prosecution had been unable to produce any solid evidence linking him to the 2008 Mumbai attacks. He contended that the prosecution's case was based only on the confession of Ajmal Kasab, the terrorist convicted and sentenced to death by an Indian court.