3 Britons acquitted in London blast case
Three Britons were cleared on Tuesday of helping to plot the London suicide bombings in July 2005, the first prosecution over the attacks which killed 52 people.world Updated: Apr 29, 2009 00:05 IST
Three Britons were cleared on Tuesday of helping to plot the London suicide bombings in July 2005, the first prosecution over the attacks which killed 52 people.
Mohammed Shakil, Sadeer Saleem and Waheed Ali were accused of scouting the city for possible targets with two of the four young British Muslims who detonated homemade devices in coordinated attacks on three underground trains and a bus.
Prosecutors said the three men were friends of the bombers, Mohammed Sidique Khan, Shehzad Tanweer, Jermaine Lindsay and Hasib Hussain, attending the same Mosque and gym in the town of Beeston, northern England.
Although they were not directly involved in making the bombs or carrying out the attacks, detectives believed the men had helped plan them.
A jury last year failed to reach a verdict against the men, and on Tuesday, Ali, 25, Shakil, 32, and Saleem, 28, were found not guilty of conspiracy to cause explosions at a retrial at London's Kingston Crown Court, the Press Association reported.
But Ali and Shakil were convicted of a second charge of conspiracy to attend a place used for terrorist training. Prosecutors said they were planning to go to a camp in Pakistan when police arrested them in March 2007.