Chinese health officials reported five more cases of swine flu in people who recently arrived in the country from US and Canada, raising the number of such cases on the mainland to 72.
According to the officials, the people tested positive for the H1N1 virus were in Beijing and the provinces of Hubei, Guangdong and Sichuan, Xinhua said in a report yesterday.
Authorities have quarantined 15 people in close contact with two women in Beijing who were detected to be carrying the deadly virus when they arrived from the US a few days ago, the Beijing health bureau said.
Meanwhile, Guangdong officials quarantined 24 people and were working to locate others who had contact with an infected man who arrived from Canada on Friday.
The two other cases were reported in Chinese Americans who arrived in Beijing from different US cities.
Airport authorities throughout the country are strictly implementing the temperature checks and enforcing quarantines in the suspected cases, to prevent the virus from spreading.
The Chinese mainland has, so far, registered a total of 72 confirmed patients, including 23 such cases in Guangdong and 16 in Beijing. However, there have been no reports of deaths from the H1N1 virus in the country.
The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region confirmed one more case of the flu yesterday, bringing the total number of cases to 33.