Authorities now say 77 homes have been destroyed in the Santa Barbara County wildfire, more than doubling the previous figure of 31.
Derek Johnson, a spokesman for Santa Barbara County, says another 22 residences have been damaged as of Sunday evening. Johnson says as the fire comes under control and the situation on the ground becomes less dangerous, crew are able to do a more thorough accounting of the structures lost.
The figures will be updated on Monday morning but Johnson says officials don't expect the numbers to change dramatically.
Approximately 30,000 people were forced to evacuate, but most of them had been allowed to return home on Sunday. Firefighters have the blaze 65 per cent contained.