A feast in the name of Lincoln, grander than what was on his plate
After his oath-taking ceremony on Tuesday, Barack Obama joins a Congressional luncheon with a menu drawn on historic ties to the presidency of the iconic Abraham Lincoln.world Updated: Jan 20, 2009 11:44 IST
After his oath-taking ceremony on Tuesday, Barack Obama joins a Congressional luncheon with a menu drawn on historic ties to the presidency of the iconic Abraham Lincoln.
But Lincoln himself enjoyed a far less grand meal after his inauguration in 1861. He dined at the Willard Hotel on corned-beef and cabbage and blackberry pie, according to the hotel.
Some 200 guests including the new president, vice president, members of their families, the Supreme Court, cabinet designees, and members of Congressional leadership would have a much more impressive three-course menu in the luncheon at the US Capitol.
Inaugural Luncheon Menu
* Seafood Stew
* Duckhorn Vineyards, 2007 Sauvignon Blanc, Napa Valley
* A Brace of American Birds (pheasant and duck), served with Sour Cherry
Chutney and Molasses Sweet Potatoes
* Goldeneye, 2005 Pinot Noir, Anderson Valley
* Apple Cinnamon Sponge Cake and Sweet Cream Glacé
* Korbel Natural "Special Inaugural Cuvée," California Champagne