About 18,000 buried by quake in Mianyang
As Mianyang bears the brunt, the death toll from the most devastating quake in three decades stands at 12,000. YouTube videos on quake | Toll rises | Big shocks in the past | Beijing jolted | See pics | World's worst quakes |world Updated: May 14, 2008 01:59 IST
China said on Tuesday 18,645 people were buried under debris in the city of Mianyang, neighbouring Wenchuan county, the epicenter of Monday's devastating earthquake. Some 3,629 people had been confirmed dead.
The death toll from China's most devastating earthquake in three decades has jumped to more than 12,000, a top disaster relief official said on Tuesday, as storms hampered rescuers in the most devastated areas.
(Reporting by Nick Macfie; Editing by Ian Ransom)