Afghan President Hamid Karzai on Thursday ordered a second investigation into the killing of an Afghan reporter during a British commando raid that rescued his Western colleague, his office said.
The president told the interior ministry and National Directorate for Security to re-open enquiries into the death last week of Sultan Munadi, a 34-year-old father of two.
Karzai issued the order after meeting Munadi's family at his palace in Kabul and hearing their version of the events that led to his death.
Munadi and Stephen Farrell, both working for The New York Times, were snatched by Taliban rebels while investigating suspected civilian deaths in a NATO air strike in the northern Kunduz province earlier this month.
A dramatic airborne commando raid last Wednesday saw British-Irish citizen Farrell whisked to safety but Munadi killed in the crossfire, his bullet-riddled body left at the scene for his family to collect.
Karzai met Munadi's father and brother and "assured them of a serious investigation into his death," the presidency said.
Based on investigations carried out by Qurban Mohammad, the reporter's father, and witnesses, Munadi's "martyrdom case is totally different to what is said by media and coalition forces," said the statement.