Analysts and defectors say recent statements in North Korean state media hint that the regime may be preparing to carry out a third nuclear test.
South Korean cable network YTN reported this week that the regime has been preparing since February to conduct a test in May or June. Foreign Minister Yu Myung-hwan says he had no information to suggest such preparations are under way, and US State Department spokesman PJ Crowley also voiced skepticism.
However, analysts and a former North Korean official said Wednesday that recent statements hint of preparations for another nuclear test. North Korea's Foreign Ministry said earlier this month that the regime would "increase and modernize" its nuclear arsenal to defend against the US.