Pakistan on Sunday sought India’s cooperation in ensuring the prosecution and conviction of Pakistani suspects arrested for their involvement in the Mumbai terrorist attacks, three days after Islamabad formally responded to New Delhi’s dossier on 26/11 strikes.
<b1>“If India wants the prosecution and conviction of persons responsible (for the Mumbai attacks), then they must answer our questions in a serious manner,” Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi said, referring to queries sent by Pakistan to India last week seeking more information about the terrorist incident.
“If they (India) do not do so, the matter cannot be taken forward,” Qureshi told reporters in his hometown of Multan.
“To take this matter to its logical conclusion, we need their cooperation. Our investigation has given rise to many questions and we have submitted them to India. If they give us timely and satisfactory answers, we will be successful in taking our prosecution to its logical conclusion,” he said.
Pakistan last week formally filed charges against nine suspects linked to the Mumbai incident and acknowledged for the first time that part of the conspiracy behind the attacks was hatched within the country.
Pakistan also sent 30 questions to India for more information on the incident, including one on Indian individuals who might have helped Ajmal Amir Kasab, the Pakistani national arrested for the attacks, and the nine other terrorists who were killed in Mumbai.
Qureshi said Pakistan will take action against suspects according to its own laws. He referred to reports about the attackers having local help in India and said New Delhi should provide information on this issue.
The world community has appreciated the actions taken by Pakistan against persons involved in the Mumbai attacks and even India has described them as a “positive development”, he said.