At least 32 killed as two bomb blasts rock Syria’s Homs

  • Reuters, Beirut
  • Updated: Dec 28, 2015 19:10 IST
Syrian citizens gather at the scene where twin bombs attack a street, at the government-held neighbourhood of Zahraa, in Homs province. (AP)

At least 32 people were killed and 90 others sustained serious injuries in two bomb explosions in the Syrian city of Homs on Monday, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.

The blasts, one from a car bomb and another from a suicide attack, struck the Zahra district in the middle of the city, said the Britain-based Observatory, which monitors the conflict through a network of contacts on the ground.

Syria’s state news agency SANA reported two car bomb blasts, but gave a lower initial toll of six dead and 37 wounded.

It was the second major attack in the city since a ceasefire deal took effect earlier this month, paving the way for the government to take over the last rebel-controlled area of Homs.

Twin blasts on December 12, also in Zahra, killed at least 16 people. Islamic State claimed reponsibility for that attack, saying it had detonated a suicide car bomb.

Under the Homs ceasefire deal, at least 700 insurgent fighters and members of their families left the last rebel-controlled area of the city, al Waer district. The United Nations presided over implementation of the deal.

also read

Philippines’ prez Duterte tells worried foreign businesses to “pack up and leav...
Show comments