In order to serve content on our website, we rely on advertising revenue which helps us to ensure that we continue to serve high quality unbiased journalism.
To know how to disable your Ad Blocker, please
Please refresh your page, once Ad Blocker is disabled
The attempt on the life of Saudi Prince Muhammad bin Nayif underscores the continued threat posed by al-Qaeda and the importance of strong counter-terrorism cooperation between the US and its regional partners, a senior White House official said on Wednesday.
"The US Government strongly condemns the cowardly attack late last week against Saudi Arabia's Assistant Minister of Interior Prince Muhammad Bin Nayif," White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs said in a statement.
Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula claimed responsibility for the August 28 attack on Prince Muhammad --the nephew of Saudi Monarch Abdullah -- who escaped with only minor injuries.
Gibbs said the attempt on the life of Prince Muhammad underscores the continued threat posed by al-Qaeda and the importance of strong counter-terrorism cooperation between the US and its regional partners.
"The President has discussed security cooperation in all of his interactions with King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia, as they both share a firm commitment to dismantle the al-Qaeda organisation and to prevent it from carrying out its murderous agenda," Gibbs said.
"Prince Muhammad has been a courageous leader of Saudi Arabia's fight against al-Qaeda, and we are very thankful that Prince Muhammad escaped this attack with only minor injuries," he said. US President Barack Obama has extended his best wishes for his full recovery.