While Lashkar-e-Taiba leadership made plans for foolproof attacks in Mumbai, the ten men involved in the carnage made a number of mistakes thus leaving crucial clues behind for Indian intelligence agencies, said released court documents.These mistakes were conceded by the LeT mastermind Sajid Mir in multiple conversations with the David Coleman Headley, the Mumbai attacks co-accused.
“Sajid told Headley... how he (Sajid) had instructed them (the attackers) to place explosives in cabs to cause confusion amongst Indian officials responding to the attacks,” it said.
According to the court documents, in a meeting with Sajid, he related to Headley that certain attackers had not followed this instructions, and had failed to sink the boat that was hijacked for their ingress to Mumbai. Sajid related that one of the attackers mistakenly left on this boat a satellite phone that had been provided to him.
“Indian authorities located this boat, recovered this phone, and provided it to the FBI for forensic analysis. Stored in the phone’s contacts were two numbers identified as ‘Wasi.’ The phone had been used to contact ‘Wasi’ on November 24, 2008, and had recovered a call from ‘Wasi’ on November 25, 2008,” the documents said.
“Sajid also told Headley that one of the attackers had been arrested and that he had tried to free the attacker by instructing an attacker at the Chabad House to contact the Israeli embassy and attempt to trade hostages for the attacker,” the documents said.