An Australian women's magazine apologised on Monday for breaking a global media blackout on Prince Harry's deployment in Afghanistan, forcing the third in line to the British throne to be withdrawn from frontline duty.
"We did not knowingly breach any embargo and were not party to any agreement for a media blackout on the story," said New Idea in a short apology in its latest edition.
"However, and more importantly, we do acknowledge that our actions in publishing the story can be reasonably viewed as insensitive and irresponsible," said the magazine.
Harry, 23, was hastily pulled out of Afghanistan last month, after just 10 weeks on the frontline, because of British fears that news of his presence my could increase the danger to him and his fellow soldiers.
New Idea, which often runs cover stories of the British royal family, said it was not "alert to the possible ramifications" of publishing the story of Harry in Afghanistan.
"We regret this serious lapse of judgment," it said. "We sincerely apologise to all our readers, to the servicemen whose lives are at constant risk while serving at home and abroad and to their families and loved ones."
(Reporting by Michael Perry; Editing by Alex Richardson)