Australia says more attacks possible in Indonesia
Australia warned more extremist attacks were possible in Indonesia in the wake of the Jakarta bombings, urging citizens in a travel advisory to reconsider visiting the country.world Updated: Jul 19, 2009 13:41 IST
Australia on Sunday warned more extremist attacks were possible in Indonesia in the wake of the Jakarta bombings, urging citizens in a travel advisory to reconsider visiting the country.
"There is a possibility of further terrorist attacks in Jakarta and elsewhere in Indonesia, including Bali," the government said in an updated travel advisory issued on Sunday.
Three Australians were among the eight killed in the twin suicide bombings at two luxury hotels Friday, bringing the number of citizens killed in extremist attacks in Indonesia over recent years to almost 100.
Canberra has since 2005 warned tourists against travel to Indonesia, its nearest neighbour and the world's most populous Muslim nation, on the grounds there is an ongoing and credible extremist threat.
The latest official travel advisory reiterated the warning, singling out Bali, the resort island popular with Australians that was the site of militant bombings in 2002 and 2005.
"We continue to receive credible information that terrorists could be planning attacks in Indonesia and that Bali remains an attractive target for terrorists," it said.
"You should exercise great care, particularly around locations that have a low level of protective security."
The Australian embassy in Jakarta was the target of a car bombing in 2004 which killed nine people and the advisory said diplomatic staff in Indonesia had been told to be on alert.
"Due to security concerns, security at the Australian embassy in Jakarta and the consulate-general in Bali is at a high level," it said.
"The Australian embassy has advised its staff and their families to be particularly careful in how they travel or walk to and from the embassy."