Authorities confident no second shooter in US tragedy

  • AFP, Washington
  • Updated: Sep 17, 2013 11:26 IST

US authorities probing the shooting spree at Washington's Navy Yard, which left 13 people dead and eight injured, said on Monday that a lone gunman carried out the killings.


"We don't have any evidence or indication at this stage that there was another shooter, even though we haven't completely ruled that out," said Washington mayor Vincent Gray.

Police chief Cathy Lanier stressed that: "we do now feel comfortable that we have the single and sole person responsible for the loss of life inside of the base today. If anything changes as we continue to go forward, we certainly will make that available to the public," she told a briefing hours after authorities said they were searching for two suspects and urged Washington residents to stay in place until the search ended.

Lanier announced that the "shelter-in-place" warning to residents had been lifted as the authorities were satisfied there were no suspects on the loose.

Police have identified the alleged lone gunman as Aaron Alexis of Forth Worth, Texas, who served in the Navy from 2007 to 2011 before becoming a defense subcontractor for computer giant Hewlett-Packard.

He was killed in an exchange of gunfire with police.

Separately, a US defense official told AFP the suspect had gained access (to Navy Yard) through legitimate means.

From Around the Web
Sponsored by Revcontent

also read

Indian-American among those killed in US Navy Yard shooting
Show comments

Steps to disable Ad Blocker on your browser


In order to serve content on our website, we rely on advertising revenue which helps us to ensure that we continue to serve high quality unbiased journalism. From our end, we will aim to show clean and unobtrusive ads to provide you with a great browsing experience.

Request to please follow the steps below and once done, please refresh your page.


For Chrome and Ad BlockPlus users

1.Press the ‘ABP’ icon in your toolbar at top right of this page

2. Click on ‘Enabled on this site’; this should now change to ‘Disabled on this site’


chrome



For Chrome and Ad Block users

1.Press the ‘AdBlock’ icon in your toolbar

2.Select the option ‘Don’t run on pages on this domain’ and then click ‘exclude’ on the pop up


chrome

Steps to disable Ad Blocker on your browser


In order to serve content on our website, we rely on advertising revenue which helps us to ensure that we continue to serve high quality unbiased journalism. From our end, we will aim to show clean and unobtrusive ads to provide you with a great browsing experience.

Request to please follow the steps below and once done, please refresh your page.


For Mozilla and AdBlock Plus (ABP) users

1.Press the ‘ABP’ icon in your toolbar

2.Select the option ‘Disable on hindustantimes.com’


chrome

Steps to disable Ad Blocker on your browser


In order to serve content on our website, we rely on advertising revenue which helps us to ensure that we continue to serve high quality unbiased journalism. From our end, we will aim to show clean and unobtrusive ads to provide you with a great browsing experience.

Request to please follow the steps below and once done, please refresh your page.


For Internet Explorer and AdBlock Plus users

1.Press the ‘AdBlock Plus’ icon in your status bar at the bottom of the screen

2.Select the option ‘Disable on hindustantimes.com’


chrome

Steps to disable Ad Blocker on your browser


In order to serve content on our website, we rely on advertising revenue which helps us to ensure that we continue to serve high quality unbiased journalism. From our end, we will aim to show clean and unobtrusive ads to provide you with a great browsing experience.

Request to please follow the steps below and once done, please refresh your page.


For Safari and AdBlock users

1.Press the ‘AdBlock’ icon in your toolbar

2.Select the option ‘Don't run pages on this domain’ and then click 'exclude'


chrome