Bangkok bomber 'unlikely' to be from global terror group: Thailand

  • AFP, Bangkok
  • Updated: Aug 20, 2015 14:25 IST
This image released by the Royal Thai Police shows a detailed sketch of the main suspect in a bombing that killed 20 people at the Erawan shrine in downtown Bangkok. (Royal Thai Police via AP)

Thailand's junta on Thursday said the Bangkok bomb that killed 20 people was not likely to be the work of an international terror group although a foreigner has been identified as the chief suspect after CCTV footage captured his image.

"It's unlikely that it's the work of an international terrorist group," Colonel Winthai Suvaree, a junta spokesperson said in a televised update, adding that "Chinese people were not the direct target".

Chinese nationals were among the dead after Monday's blast at Erawan shrine in downtown Bangkok, which has left residents fearful of another attack and dealt a blow to the nation's vital tourism sector.

CCTV Footage | Bangkok blast suspect caught leaving bag with bomb

Thailand had earlier said on Thursday it would seek the help of Interpol to nab the primary suspect, with police unsure if he had fled the country or not.

Thai Prime Minister Prayut Chan-O-Cha said, on Thursday, he would not attend a memorial service for the victims at the shrine on Friday because of security concerns about his safety.

"I will not go there on the advice of my security. I am not afraid of dying but I am afraid others may die with me as my risk is increasing day by day," he said during an official function at Bangkok.

Noone has claimed responsibility for the attack, which has no precedent in Bangkok.

However, authorities issued an arrest warrant on Wednesday evening for an unnamed foreigner based on the CCTV footage obtained.

The bombing has claimed the lives of at least 13 foreigners -- from China, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore. A Hong Kong resident was also a British national.

Winthai said, on Thursday, 67 patients wounded by the blast remained in hospital while other 56 had now been discharged.

Authorities are still verifying the identity of two deceased victims.

also read

Up to 900 Islamic State jihadists killed in Mosul battle: US
Show comments