The man who last month assaulted Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi was transferred Tuesday from prison to the psychiatric ward of a Milan hospital, news reports said.
Magistrate Cristina Di Censo ordered that 42-year-old Massimo Tartaglia be moved to the San Carlo hospital, following recommendations from doctor's at Milan's San Vittore prison, the ANSA newsagency said.
December 13, Tartaglia struck Berlusconi with a statuette replica of Milan Cathedral, breaking the premier's nose and several teeth.
The 73-year-old Berlusconi left hospital four days after the attack and last week returned to work.
In the wake of the attack, the premier's conservative allies accused members of the centre-left opposition of fomenting "a climate of hate", which had lead to violence.
Tartgaglia, who has a history of psychological problems, has written a letter to Berlusconi apologising for striking him, an act he described as "cowardly."