Blacklist Mumbai attack planners: India asks UN
Minister of State for External Affairs E Ahamed urges the UNSC to help punish anyone responsible for the Mumbai attacks by adding them to a UN terrorism blacklist.world Updated: Dec 10, 2008 11:24 IST
Minister of State for External Affairs E Ahamed urged the UN Security Council on Tuesday to help punish anyone responsible for the deadly attacks in Mumbai by adding them to a UN terrorism blacklist.
"We have requested the Security Council to proscribe the Pakistani group Jamaat-ud-Dawa since it is a terrorist outfit," Ahamed told a special meeting of the Security Council on terrorism.
"All those who were in any way responsible for the Mumbai terrorist attacks, wherever they may be, should be brought to justice," he said.
The charity Jamaat-ud-Dawa is widely regarded as a front for the Islamist militant group Lashkar-e-Taiba, which India says was behind the Mumbai attacks that killed 179 people.
Ahamed said he wanted the group added to the list of individuals and groups facing travel bans and asset freezes under Security Council resolution 1267, which imposed sanctions on supporters of Al-Qaeda, Osama bin Laden and the Taliban.
Without naming them, Ahamed said "other such organizations" should also be blacklisted "and effective sanctions imposed against them."
Pakistan's UN Ambassador Abdullah Hussain Haroon told the council Islamabad was ready to support such measures.
Ahamed also made clear that New Delhi expected Islamabad to act decisively against any militants operating in Pakistan who might have been involved in preparing the attacks.
He said that India had acted with restraint so far though his country might feel compelled to take action in the future and would be justified in doing so.
"We must do our duty to by our people and take all actions as we deem fit to defend and protect them," he said. "The charter of the United Nations and provisions of international law, including the right of self defense, gives us the framework to fulfill these responsibilities."
Haroon said that Pakistan had not only proposed a joint investigation of the attacks but had offered to send to India "the highest level possible delegation from Pakistan to sort out these affairs."
"Not only are the terrorists not linked to Pakistan in any way, we too are their targets and we too continue to be their victims," Haroon told the council.
The Pakistani envoy said he was a "a little surprised" at the force of the statement of the Indian minister, adding that India and Pakistan should "stop all negative campaigns against each other."