Blair's burnt toast sparks fire alert!
In an embarrassing incident, former British Prime Minister Tony Blair triggered a fire alert after he burnt a toast while making breakfast at his country home.world Updated: Apr 05, 2010 17:51 IST
In an embarrassing incident, former British Prime Minister Tony Blair triggered a fire alert after he burnt a toast while making breakfast at his country home.
Three fire engines were rushed to the 17th-century South Pavilion in Wotton Underwood on Saturday morning after the smoke alarm was sparked when Blair and his wife Cherie were attempting to make toast, his spokesperson said.
"The Blairs were cooking breakfast when the smoke alarm went off. As they live in a Grade 1 listed building, the smoke alarm is automatically connected to the local fire station, so the fire brigade sprang into action immediately.
"In fact it was just smoke without a fire but by the time Mrs Blair rang the fire service to tell them they didn't need to come, they were already on their way. All rather embarrassing and she'll certainly be sending them a big thank you note," the spokesperson told the media.
A spokesman for Buckinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service said: "Two crews from Haddenham, the nearest local station, and one from Aylesbury attended. One from Thame, in Oxfordshire, was on its way but was turned back.
"When they got there, it was basically some burned toast that had set the alarm off, so it was a smaller incident than was first feared. The smoke was cleared with a fan and the firefighters gave some fire safety advice."