Blast at Nigeria football match kills 40: police
A bomb attack targeting fans at a football match in Nigeria's restive northeast killed at least 40 people on Sunday, a police officer told AFP.world Updated: Jun 02, 2014 02:44 IST
A bomb attack targeting fans at a football match in Nigeria's restive northeast killed at least 40 people on Sunday, a police officer told AFP.
"There has been a bomb explosion at a football field this evening and so far more than 40 people have been killed," said the officer who requested anonymity in the town of Mubi, which has seen previous attacks by Boko Haram Islamists.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility. Islamist militant group Boko Haram, whose struggle for an Islamic state is concentrated in the northeast, would be the prime suspect.
The group has set off several bombs across north and central Nigeria in the past two months.
Last weekend, a suicide bomber set out to strike an open-air viewing of a football match in the central city of Jos, but his car blew up before reaching the target, killing three people.
A suicide bombing the week before in Jos killed 118 people, and two bombs on the outskirts of Abuja in April killed 95 between them.
The group is still holding more than 200 girls that it abducted on April 14.
(With inputs from AFP and Reuters)