An intelligence report submitted on last week's blasts in Karachi, targeted at the reception procession for former Pakistan premier Benazir Bhutto, suggests that it was a suicide attack in continuation of similar attacks made in Charsadda and an army mess near Islamabad.
However, local media reports contradict this and say it may have been a pre-planted bomb that was detonated by a remote control device.
The preliminary report, compiled by the country's intelligence agencies says the attacker targeted Benazir Bhutto but she survived because of the armoured carrier she was travelling in. The report said one of the blasts was a suicide attack and there were no evidences of another attack.
The report was submitted to President Musharraf on Monday. Musharraf had directed the concerned agencies to submit the report of Karachi carnage within 48 hours.
Benazir in her press conference last week stated there were a series of attacks on her vehicle. She claimed her armoured truck had been shot at in the confusion following the blast in the procession. The PPP leader has asked for outside help in investigating the blasts but the government has said its intelligence agencies will conduct the probe.
Benazir said international technical experts could help identify those behind the deaths of 139 people. Karachi police have questioned three men arrested in Punjab province in connection with the attacks. A police source said the men were linked to a vehicle that had been used in the attacks - among the bloodiest Pakistan has ever seen.
According to the local media, the report submitted to General Musharraf suggests that the suicide attacker had probably first hurled a hand grenade and than blew himself up.
Benazir Bhutto was in the internal portion of the bulletproof truck when the blast occurred and therefore, she survived.