A car bomb exploded on Wednesday near a US-run civilian-military base in the southern Afghan city of Kandahar but there were no casualties, police said as Afghan and US troops cordoned off the area.
Regional police chief General Mohammad Shafiq Afzali said the car had been in the parking lot of the Provincial Reconstruction Team (PRT), but it was unclear if it was detonated remotely or by a suicide bomber.
"There have not been any casualties," he said.
PRTs are civil-military missions involved in reconstruction and security efforts in most of Afghanistan's 34 provinces. The Kandahar PRT is run by the United States.
Kandahar is one of the hotspots of the Afghan insurgency, as it was the capital of the Taliban's 1996-2001 regime, and the Islamists regard the province and its capital of the same name as their fiefdom.
Taliban strikes against military installations in Afghanistan have escalated since early May following a threat to target foreign forces, diplomats, aid efforts and Afghans working with international concerns.
NATO and the US have 130,000 troops in the country fighting the insurgency, with another 20,000 due for deployment, mostly in Kandahar, within months.