Charges re-filed against accused 9/11 mastermind | world | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Aug 24, 2017-Thursday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Charges re-filed against accused 9/11 mastermind

The Defense Department says military prosecutors have re-filed terrorism and murder charges against the accused mastermind of the Sept. 11 attacks and four others, under revamped trial processes at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

world Updated: Jun 02, 2011 17:06 IST

The Defense Department says military prosecutors have re-filed terrorism and murder charges against the accused mastermind of the Sept. 11 attacks and four others, under revamped trial processes at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

The charges against Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and the others allege that they were responsible for planning the attacks that sent commercial airliners slamming into the World Trade towers, the Pentagon and the Pennsylvania countryside, killing more than 3,000 people.

The five men previously were charged in connection with the attacks, but those charges were dropped in 2009, when the Obama administration hoped to do away with the Bush-era military commissions and close Guantanamo. It has been unable to close the prison or try the men in civilian court.

The five have been held at Guantanamo all along.