China calls for cease-fire after Libya strike | world | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 03, 2016-Saturday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

China calls for cease-fire after Libya strike

world Updated: May 02, 2011 16:02 IST

AP
Highlight Story

China has renewed its call for an immediate cease-fire in Libya after NATO bombed a Muammar Gaddafi family compound in an attack government officials said killed some of the leader's relatives.

The Foreign Ministry statement Monday said China is concerned about the rising civilian death toll in the conflict and hopes the parties can negotiate a political settlement.

The statement says China doesn't support actions beyond what the UN Security Council authoritized. But it stopped short of saying NATO's airstrike on Saturday exceeded that.

Libya says Gaddafi's second youngest son and three grandchildren were killed.

Russia, which like China abstained on the Security Council vote, previously accused NATO of a "disproportionate use of force."